Curried Coconut Lentil Stew
A quick and easy yet deliciously hearty lentil soup flavoured with warm spices and creamy coconut milk. The perfect, cozy soup for a cold night in.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 4 stalks of celery diced
- 1-14 oz can of diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon of Madras Curry Powder heaping
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper optional
- 1 teaspoon of fine sea salt
- 1 cup of red lentils rinsed
- 3 and 1/2 cups of low-sodium vegetable stock or water
- 1-14 oz can of coconut milk low-fat is fine, well-shaken
- Juice of one lime
- Fresh chopped cilantro for garnish
In a large pan, heat coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots and celery and sauté for 8 minutes or until the onions are translucent and starting to brown.
Add the garlic and sauté another minute. Add the grated ginger and curry powder. Heat through another minute or so, until the spices become very fragrant.
Add the diced fire-roasted tomatoes, vegetable stock (water) and 1 cup of red lentils. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover then cook stew over low-medium heat for 20 minutes, or until the lentils are nice and soft. Add more vegetable stock or water if the mixture becomes too dry.
Season soup with sea salt and cayenne pepper (if using). Whisk in 3/4 of the can of coconut milk into the stew. Simmer another two minutes then squeeze in juice of one lime.
Ladle soup into bowls. Drizzle with remaining coconut milk followed by chopped fresh cilantro. Enjoy!